- Venue: Málaga (Spain)
- Start: 01.01.19 End: 30.06.19
- Duration: 6 Months
- Number of Vacancies: 2
- Deadline to apply: 21.9.2018
- On-line-Interview: 26.09.2018
- Countries: EU Nations
We are looking for responsible, motivated and passionate volunteers!
Information about the organisation:
IES PABLO PICASSO is a comprehensive secondary school (12-18 years-old) located in a working-class neighbourhood in the North of Malaga, within a walking distance of the city centre. Malaga is the capital city of the Costa del Sol, in the South of Spain and it’s located very close to cities like Seville or Granada.
We have compulsory and non-compulsory secondary (which is called Bachillerato in Spain) education students and a vocational training course on ICT. We have approximately 600 students. Most students are Spanish but we also have approximately an almost ten percent of immigrant students, not to mention second generation students, with Spanish nationality but foreign parents.
We deal mostly with formal academic training but we eagerly try to engage our students in activities which are not strictly academic, to encourage cultural awareness, voluntary work, critical thinking or personal development, including developing their language skills and an awareness of a European dimension. This is why we yearly develop some programmes which include working for education for sustainable development (in regard to environment and economy), intercultural education, and education for peace and gender equality. We are also currently part of a network of schools (“Schools for Peace”) in our city working on how to promote humanitarian and intercultural values and social work among our students. We organise activities to promote cultural awareness together with other schools belonging to this network, which currently consists of thirteen primary and secondary schools in our hometown. These activities include, among others, intercultural cooking contests, cooperative games contests and a yearly intercultural fair, where students have a chance to have fun while they learn about other countries’ traditions.
Last but not least, we are coordinators of a European Erasmus project for the exchange of good practices with three other European countries called “Entrepreneurial Young Citizens of a Modern Europe”, which is mainly aimed at developing our students entrepreneurial and citizenship competences and at raising European awareness.
Our school is looking for highly motivated volunteers willing to participate in the projects described above. The main tasks the volunteer will develop include:
- Counselling to our school community in regard to Erasmus + programme and in particular to the European Volunteer Service. This includes providing European Youth Information at school. The volunteer will create a point where students can ask about the possibilities for young in the Erasmus+ Youth Program available for students at break time.
- Supporting the coordinator and students involved in the Erasmus+ project.
- Designing activities to raise European awareness: exhibitions, lectures, informal meetings with our students.
- Providing with language support to students who are going to take part in mobilities with non-formal education activities to help students to improve their language skills as well as their knowledge of other cultures after school hours.
- Organising of a “European culture week” to show his/her culture and language including information on other European countries.
- Supporting the Department of Extra-curricular activities and the coordinators of our different programmes, including the programme for Gender Equality, the Schools for Peace network and the Entrepreneurship programme.
- ICT tasks: Video creation, updating the school website and the school’s social networks.
- Engaging with the members of the students’ association and providing them with support to carry out their activities after school hours.
Finally, depending on interests he/she will help with:
- The sport activities in the break.
- The Chess club.
- The school garden
The volunteer will have the chance to:
-Get a deeper understanding of Spanish culture
– Develop communication skills by working with teenage students and be able to exchange language practice and other activities
-Develop social and cultural skills, as volunteers will have the opportunity to interact with a large number of young people from very different backgrounds and this will provide volunteers with a real view of youth in Spain.
-Design activities to motivate and engage our students to learn about other cultures.
-Work together with experienced teachers and exchange knowledge on the educational projects listed above, planning and carrying out different kind of activities.
Our ideal applicant needs to:
Have a very good level of English. His /her main interests should include education and teenagers.
We are looking for someone flexible, adaptable, eager to communicate and share cultural experiences. Besides, he/she should be able to work in a group as well as independently, as initiative and creativity are highly desirable.
IT skills are also required.
Further information about the volunteer life:
Volunteers could cook their meals by their own in their flats, they are going to receive 150 euros allowance each month.
Accommodation will be in individual rooms in rented flats shared with other EVS volunteers or young people. They will be provided with standard equipment and essential household goods and electricity, water, gas will be covered by the hosting organisation. Internet connection won’t be provided by the hosting organisation
Each volunteer will be given a monthly allowance of 150 euro for personal needs.
We will offer support to get a public transport card.
Every volunteer is entitled to receive language support with an online platform, as stated in Erasmus+ programme.
The volunteer is entitled to the same public and school holidays for the whole school community.
Training and support
- The mentor will offer support and personal assistance to the volunteers.
- Applicant organisation/sending organisation/hosting organisation is responsible for the volunteer’s insurance, all the parties are obliged to get acquainted with the insurance rules.
- Volunteers will have access to the computers, photocopies and all the resources at the school.
If you are interested in this project, please fill in the following application form and attach your CV, motivation letter and Photo. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a Skype interview on 26.09.2018. The deadline for applications is 21.09/2018.
The Volunteer will develop their activities during school hours (8:15- 14:45) and and at least one day of after school activities in the afternoon.
Specific tasks will be assigned once the application is granted.
Example of a working day:
-Before the break
Erasmus coordination activities
-During the break: Youth Point / Sport activities / Traditional games
-After the break:
- ICT activities
- Project Activities (Gender Equality, School for Peace network, etc.)
After school hours (at least one day a week):
-Language Conversation Tea with students who are going to have Erasmus mobility
– Activities to support students’ association.
When the volunteer takes part in extra activities out of school, lasting the whole day or even some days or the week-end, he or she will have free days.